Inclusive, just, and equitable processes are promoted by intentional policies and the management of best practices.
Best Practices for the Recruitment and Hiring of a Diverse Faculty
- UNCG Faculty Search Committee Training Module and Consultation. The training module for faculty search committees will be delivered online and in an interactive briefing format with consultation available. Human resource data sources needed to sharpen recruitment for diverse applicant pools and evaluate searches will be integrated into the guidelines. (in planning)
- Recruiting Diverse Faculty Handbook (PDF)
- Responsibilities of Search Committee for Faculty Positions
- Best Practice for a Diverse Faculty Colleges of Arts and Science
- Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action, and Inclusive Excellence
- Successful Practices for Faculty Searches in the College of Visual and Performing Arts (PDF)
- Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action, and Inclusive Excellence (UNCG)
Resources & Tool Kits:
- UCLA Implicit Bias Video Series
- Instilling Equity diversity and Inclusion in Departmental Practice (toolkit included)
- Recruiting Diverse and Excellent Faculty
Faculty Diversity Strategies and Tactics.
Damon A. Williams
Inclusive Teaching, Pedagogy & Curriculum
- University Teaching and Learning Center (UTLC), UNCG provides a wide range of supports and training for diversity education and inclusive teaching and pedagogy.
- DiversityEDU is a research-based online training model with practical applications. There are two modules: faculty and staff and academic search committee. Certificate of Completion is received from Office of the Provost. Sign up here.
- Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI) Institute provides resources for handling difficult conversations in the classroom, developing EDI focused content, and utilizing culturally responsive pedagogy.
- Literary Circles (UTLC) unite faculty and staff around topics and reading related to the scholarship on teaching and learning focused around equity, diversity, and inclusion. It ends with a “lunch ‘n learn” opportunity and participants will receive a copy of the book. Sign up here.
- Viewpoints of Student Inclusive Experiences (VOISES) highlights experiences of four to six students from marginalized identity groups. In these moderated panels faculty ask questions and reflect on issues of equity, diversity, and inclusion at UNCG. Visit workshops.uncg.edu to RSVP for the upcoming VOISES panels or contact UTLC for questions.
- Minerva Area Curriculum (MAC). UNCG establishes general education curriculum with competencies in Global Engagement and Intercultural Understanding and Diversity and Equity through the Humanities and Fine Arts OR through the Social & Behavioral Sciences.
- Resources for Equity and Inclusion in the Classroom. (UTLC, UNCG)
- Upcoming Events and Special Programs Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion – University Teaching & Learning Commons (uncg.edu)
- The Anti-racist Educator
- Reflecting on Your Practice: Inclusive Teaching Principles in in-Person, Hybrid and Online, University of Michigan
- Checklist for Inclusive Teaching, Plymouth University (PDF)
- Inclusive Teaching Higher Education Rubric (PDF)
EDI Training for Managers & Supervisors:
- Equal Employment Opportunity and Diversity Fundamentals (EEODF) is a state-mandated diversity training for managers and supervisors. This course was previously referred to as the Equal Employment Opportunity Institute (EEOI).
- Level I (EEPCDF_V2) training managers and supervisor (non-executive) includes 6 online modules, assessment, and 8-hour 1-day classroom instruction. (PDF, uncg.edu). Register online here.
- FAQs about EEODF_V2
- Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action, and Inclusive Excellence. Human Resources (uncg.edu)
- Affirmative action plan to adhere to the UNCG Policy on Discriminatory Conduct
- UCLA Implicit Bias Video Series
- Employers Embracing Those with Disabilities
Color Blind or Color Brave.
TED Talk, Mellody Hopson
Unconscious Bias at Work — Making the Unconscious Conscious
Unconscious Bias in the Workplace (humorous)